Are you going to the gym today? Are you going to the weight room?
A lot of people get intimidated by the gym. People tell me they feel like they need to be in shape to even go to the gym, and they worry about feeling out of place with the gymrats that practically live there.
Please don't let a little self-consciousness keep you from the gym! Here are some gym truths that will hopefully help get you in the door and maybe even in the weight room!
1. You don't need to look like either of these girls to be confident in the gym.
- It's about your health and improving yourself
- Remember, even those people started somewhere and skill and fitness is gained by practice
2. People who are in the gym because they are serious about working out are not paying attention to you.
- OK, I know that sounds kind of harsh, but it's true. Seriously. If someone is there to get their workout in, that's their focus, not judging you and what you look like or how fast you're running
3. Use the people in the gym as your own personal motivation!
- If you're going to have to be in a gym with hard bodies that you envy, you might as well as use it to motivate you! Push yourself a little harder on the treadmill to work up to the speed of that fit chick next to you, or make a goal weight for lifting to match that buff guy across the room (eventually... don't hurt yourself!).
4. Get someone who is comfortable in the gym to take you around.
- Most gyms offer tours or a free personal training session. Take advantage of this and get a personal tour of the gym and ask how to use any machines/equipment that looks a bit confusing
- No tours available? Find a friend who loves the gym. Even if they don't go to your gym, they probably feel comfortable walking into any gym and know a good bit about a lot of the equipment.
Remember, this isn't meant to be intimidating! Go check it out, it may become your new favorite place!
lover of fitness, sweets, veggies, adventure, travel, and feeling confident.